qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Under WinXP, Solaris installation does not work in qemu

From: Juergen Keil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Under WinXP, Solaris installation does not work in qemu 0.9.1 but does work in qemu 0.9.0
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:13:15 +0100 (CET)

> P4 3.40GHz
> WinXP Professional SP2
>
> Solaris Express Developer Edition 2/07 DVD iso image
> (I have 2/07 but latest version is 9/07
> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/solaris-express/get.jsp)
>
> qemu-0.9.1:
> Small comment - normal setup goes almost without delay, but
> errors appear[*] after 1 or 2 minutes delay (and continue to appear by the
> same "blocks" with the same interval

> [*] WARNING: /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden (ata1):
>         timeout: abort requested, target=0 lun=0

Workaround is to disable the use of DMA data transfers for the Solaris
ata driver.  Edit the boot entry in the initial grub menu and append
",ata-dma-enabled=0" at the end of the line starting with "kernel ...".

The kernel command should look similar to this:

    kernel /boot/platform/i86pc/kernel/unix -B
install_media=cdrom,ata-dma-enabled=0