qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] 3D acceleration

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: [Qemu-devel] 3D acceleration
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 03:45:50 +0000

> From:         Alexander Graf
> Subject:      Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] cocoa.m - Core Graphics support
> Date:         Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:29:02 +0100

> I somehow like the idea of having a GL based video output.

Awhile back, somebody did a patch to allow guest accelerated Windows
OpenGL graphics.  From what I can tell, he basically wrote a Windows
OpenGL API that 'calls' interrupts, which QEMU traps.  QEMU then
interprets the interrupts and calls the OpenGL API of the Linux host.

<http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi/viewtopic.php?
f=2&t=2984&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=1c320bec1bea28ff21ed2204b2df4c60>

In the thread is also the interesting suggestion of using the dlxgl
wrapper API to convert Direct3D to OpenGL in Windows.  This
theoretically means that you could run Direct3D apps in QEMU.

I think it would be worthwhile getting Direct3D and OpenGL to work on
QEMU.  This is especially when Win95/98 cannot run on the more up-to-
date PC chipsets (due to manufacturers not being will to provide drivers
or whatever).  I know of a least two applications that can run on
Win95/98 but not XP.

Fabrice made a comment on this patch:

<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-11/msg00149.html>

>From my minimal understanding of what he is saying, it seems he would
prefer there to be a BOCHS graphics adapter, which would then pass the
OpenGL commands from Windows to Linux OpenGL.  Also, Direct3D commands
would be passed from Windows to Linux Wine.

I wouldn't mind having a go at this as I would like to run 3D
accelerated Windows apps on Linux.  However, due to a couple of other
projects I want to complete first (including a PC upgrade), I don't
think I'll have time to do this until may be later this year.  Also, I
will need to do some learning.  So don't your breath.  Anybody want to
volunteer to do this?

What are people's current feelings about this?  I've been wanting to run
3D accelerated Win98/95 in Linux (on what will be an up-to-date chipset
soon...).  But I kept on finding out about PCI  pass through on Xen to
allow Direct3D to do its work, and the open "source" specifications of
ATI cards (though I read that nVidia are allegedly deliberating about
doing the same thing sometime this year).

Thanks,
Gervase.