qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x

From: Asheesh Laroia
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:24:34 -0800 (PST)

I'm running qemu (really, KVM) in a LAN that uses 10.0.2.x as the IP address block for workstations. So naturally when I booted a guest, it couldn't access machines inside the LAN.

I tried the simplest thing that could possibly work:

        address@hidden:~/dnlds/qemu/qemu $ replace 10.0.2 10.0.3 -- `find -type
f  | grep -v -i CVS `

Booting that resulted in a virtual machine that, as I had hoped, used 10.0.3.15 and could therefore successfully talk to my 10.0.2.x IPs on the LAN. I've attached a 'cvs diff' against HEAD that results from the above command.

Out of curiosity, are there plans to make the user-space networking stack IP range configurable at run-time rather than compile time? I'm not suggesting that this patch I attached become part of CVS HEAD necessarily; what I do hope is that this will inspire someone else on the list to make the handling of this more flexible, knowing now that it's fairly easy to do. (-:

Even if not, this serves as a report to others that this trivial patch actually does what you'd hope/expect!

-- Asheesh.

--
It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing,
but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.