qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x

From: Asheesh Laroia
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Making qemu use 10.0.3.x not 10.0.2.x
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:34:04 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Paul Brook wrote:

but make it configurable on the command line. That way, there are no surprises ever. The rare people like me with an issue can just pass a command-line parameter in.

The point I was trying to make is that qemu could easily arbitrate the guest network based on how the host is configured. If the host has a 10.0.x.x network (and I suppose if we want to be thorough, a 10.0.x.x route), then it punts to 172.16.x.x (and does the same check) and then tries a couple of 192.168.x.x networks.

I really dislike this kind of guesswork. It makes it very hard to debug/reproduce problems, and means you're never really sure what qemu is going to do. IMHO One of the really nice features of qemu is that it is host independent.

I agree with this - guesswork and invisible options can be confusing. That's why I suggest what I think is the simplest solution: Just let this be overridable on the command line.

-- Asheesh.

--
Don't suspect your friends -- turn them in!
                -- "Brazil"