qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] What does code_copy_enabled do?

From: Julian Seward
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] What does code_copy_enabled do?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:30:53 +0100

> : > > Any news on the possible cvs->svn migration?
> : >
> : > To be perfectly honest, IMO there is little point moving an existing
> : > project from CVS to SVN.
> :
> : I disagree.  CVS has several fairly fundamental flaws (no global revision
> : IDs, unable to move files, and more subtle problems with branches/tags).
> : SVN fixes these, and in most cases works as a direct drop-in replacement
> : for CVS.
>
> FreeBSD is moving from CVS to SVN for these reasons.

Just to second "M. Warner Losh": we moved Valgrind from CVS to SVN about
3.5 years ago and it was an excellent thing to do.  It is not true to say
there is no advantage over CVS -- the global revision IDs, the ability to
rename files, and a simpler branching/tagging model are all big advantages.
And the fact that it is more-or-less conceptually a drop-in replacement makes
it easy for people to make the migration.

Sure, Valgrind is a tiny project compared to FreeBSD.  But we gain those
advantages nonetheless.