qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to extract content of a raw image on host?

From: Laurent Vivier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to extract content of a raw image on host?
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 08:55:06 +0100

Le samedi 16 février 2008 à 08:18 +0100, Dirk Behme a écrit :
> JonY wrote:
> > Dirk Behme wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> is there a way to extract the contents of a qemu raw image on (x86
> >> Linux) host without starting QEMU itself? If so, any hint would be
> >> quite nice.
> >>
> >> I'm looking for anything like the reverse what
> >>
> >> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-04/msg00448.html
> >>
> >> seems to do. Extract files/directories from an existing raw image.
> >>
> >> qemu-img reports me
> >>
> >>  > qemu-img info disk.img
> >> image: disk.img
> >> file format: raw
> >> virtual size: 4.3M (4515328 bytes)
> >> disk size: 4.3M
> >>
> >> but what is in it and how to access the content?
> >>
> >> Thanks, and sorry if this is a FAQ and I missed the correct search
> >> string,
> >>
> >> Dirk
> >>
> > Hi,
> >
> > have you tried using a loop back mount?
>
> # mount -o loop disk.img mnt/
> mount: You have to specify a file system type
> # mount -t raw -o loop disk.img mnt/
> mount: unknown file system type „raw“
>
> Sorry if I miss the obvious ;)

Loop is not able to manage partition.
Either you use the offset option to point to the offset of the partition
you want to mount in the raw image.
Either you use the attached patch to be able to manage partition table
with loop (and load the module with parameter "max_part=64")

Laurent
--
"Programmers who subconsciously view themselves as artists