qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc and Solaris 1.1.2 / SunOS 4.1.4

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc and Solaris 1.1.2 / SunOS 4.1.4
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:02:23 +0200

On 2/19/08, M. Warner Losh <address@hidden> wrote:
> In message: <address@hidden>
>             Andrew Warkentin <address@hidden> writes:
> : Robert Reif wrote:
> :
> : > Jan Holzhueter wrote:
> : >
> : >> Hi everyone,
> : >> we are planing to get rid of some old sparc hardware.
> : >> The problem is that there are applications on it that require
> : >> sun4m and Solaris 1.1.2 / SunOS 4.1.4.
> : >> As known qemu-system-sparc is not able to boot the Solaris Kernel at
> : >> the moment.
> : >>
> : >> I get as far as:
> : >>   [sparc] Booting file 'cdrom' with parameters ''
> : >> Not a bootable ELF image
> : >> Not a Linux kernel image
> : >> Not a bootable a.out image
> : >> Not a bootable ELF image
> : >> Not a Linux kernel image
> : >> Loaded 7680 bytes
> : >> entry point is 0x4000
> : >> Jumping to entry point...
> : >> checksum 60746d10 != 86693bac, trying to boot anyway
> : >> Unhandled Exception 0x00000007
> : >> PC = 0x002002bc NPC = 0x002002c0
> : >> Stopping execution
> : >>
> : >> My question is how far away are you form getting it to work
> : >> and in what time frame could it be done?
> : >>
> : >> This is a bigger project for us. So it might even be possible
> : >> ( nothing confirmed yet I have to check back with some people  )
> : >> to donate some money to get it to work.
> : >> It doesn't need to work for all Solaris. We just need Solaris 1.1.2.
> : >> If someone needs some installation Medium or feedback let me know.
> : >>
> : >> Greetings
> : >> Jan Holzhüter
> : >>
> : >>
> : > This may be an openbios issue.  Changing openbios boot.c cdrom
> : > oldpath to sd(0,2,0):d gets past this error but it still doesn't boot.
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : >
> :
> : SunOS might run in TME (http://people.csail.mit.edu/fredette/tme/). I
> : don't think anything other than Linux runs in QEMU's Sun emulation (or
> : for that matter, any of the non-PC QEMU emulators).
>
> OpenFirmware that QEMU implements is somewhat insufficient to boot
> anything but the hacked up version of Linux.

Not hacked up, Qemu and the supplied OpenBIOS image can boot several
unmodified Linux kernels spanning a decade.

Currently both NetBSD and OpenBSD hang outside OpenBIOS, OF activity
has stopped. I don't know enough of the insides of the BSDs to debug.
I'd think any BSD hacker who cared to spend a few hours for this could
pinpoint the culprit very quickly.