qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: 2.6.24 says "serial8250: too much work for irq4" a

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: 2.6.24 says "serial8250: too much work for irq4" a lot.
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:51:26 +0100

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 11:26:06AM +0000, Paul Brook wrote:
> On Sunday 10 February 2008, Blue Swirl wrote:

> > > The difference is you *can't* do that in a general layer.
> >
> > What makes you think that is impossible?
>
> IIUC the proposed patch makes the serial driver return an empty FIFO exactly
> once, them immediately continue receiving data. Throughput should be
> approximately the same, you've just got a bit of extra overhead to process
> the additional interrupts.  This is very different to the previous patch
> which did time-based throughput limiting.
>
> You can't do this in generic code because there's no way to guess when the
> guest os has seen the FIFO empty condition. The best you can do is pause for
> some arbitrary length of time, which is both unreliable (the guest OS may not
> have got to far enough yet, especially if the host machine is heavily
> loaded), and has a significant negative impact on throughput.
>
> > Also win2k install hack in ide.c seems to be related to this problem,
> > so even more generic solution would be desirable.
>
> IIUC the win2k hack is an actual timing problem. The win2k IDE drivers are
> buggy, and fall over if the drive responds too soon.

Is everybody convinced about this patch now? I would really like to see
it in the CVS, as it greatly improves the usability of the serial
consoles on targets running GNU/Linux (and probably OSes).

--
  .''`.  Aurelien Jarno             | GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
 `. `'   address@hidden         | address@hidden