qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] CVS build error

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] CVS build error
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:53:38 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Markus Hitter wrote:

> Am 14.03.2008 um 00:32 schrieb Johannes Schindelin:
>
> >On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Rick Vernam wrote:
> >
> > >[gcc4] Not supported?  Okay, fine.  But don't tell me it can't work.
> > >The fact of the matter is that I use it daily.
> > >
> > >Make configure fail horribly?  Well, that seems a bit
> > >counter-productive, don't you think?
> >
> >If you would only have researched a _little_ bit, you would have found
> >out that x86, by far the most common platform at the moment, which you
> >should have known before stating what you stated, does _not_ work with
> >gcc4.
>
> OK, so Rick is guilty not using the most common platform. Wasn't it one
> of the major goals of qemu to work on a wide variety of different
> platforms?

WTF? Rick suggested removing that configure message that you need to
explicitely override its quite sane default to refuse work with gcc4,
because at least one platform (the most common one) has problems with it.

I was against removing this safety valve, because it does _nothing_ to
help users understand why QEmu does not compile.

The situation now: gcc4 is not supported, but might work. configure tells
you as much, and even gives you rope to try nevertheless.

The situation suggested: configure silently ignores the fact that gcc4 is
the current compiler, and in some (not at all rare) cases, the compilation
just fails without a clue.

So I absolutely _fail_ to understand what you thought, implying that I was
restricting platform variability.

Sheesh,
Dscho