qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] CVS build error

From: Rick Vernam
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] CVS build error
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:56:30 -0500

> WTF? Rick suggested removing that configure message that you need to
> explicitely override its quite sane default to refuse work with gcc4,
> because at least one platform (the most common one) has problems with it.
I did?  where?  when?  You might have mis-read something.

> I was against removing this safety valve, because it does _nothing_ to
> help users understand why QEmu does not compile.
>
> The situation now: gcc4 is not supported, but might work. configure tells
> you as much, and even gives you rope to try nevertheless.
but if you're not sure of the current state and you want to find out - do not
ask.  such questions are not taken nicely.

> The situation suggested: configure silently ignores the fact that gcc4 is
> the current compiler, and in some (not at all rare) cases, the compilation
> just fails without a clue.
I don't know who's post you've read.  Mine was essentialy this: "Is this on my
end, or just the current state of things?"
Please, forgive me for knowing only that it works sometimes and not others.