qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] build failure on x86, any suggestions?

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] build failure on x86, any suggestions?
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:25:41 +0100

Paul Brook schrieb:
On Saturday 15 March 2008, Peter Volkov wrote:
Hello.

I just wanted to point developers attention to the following bug:
bugs.gentoo.org/212351 , comment #11 and further. The problem is that
qemu does not compile any more on x86. I've tried recent snapshot
(2008-03-15_05) and the problem persist there.

You're almost certainly using gcc4.x. Don't do that.

IIRC gentoo already has a big pile hacks for this. This kind of breakage is exactly why those hacks haven't been merged into cvs. They're papering over the problem rather than fixing it, so you should expect them to need constant
maintenance.

As mentioned several times on this recently on this list, the proper fix is to
finish the TCG conversion. That will happen "when it's done".

Paul
Hi Paul,

I got two similar error messages from other users. Both were using gcc-3.4,
one of them from ubuntu 7.10 (32bit). My own system had no problems
compiling exactly the same version with Debian lenny (amd64) gcc-3.4.

Stefan