qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [4254] Let WM8750 users write to audio buffer directly.

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [4254] Let WM8750 users write to audio buffer directly.
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 01:29:06 +0200

On 27/04/2008, Jan Kiszka <address@hidden> wrote:
> andrzej zaborowski wrote:
>  > Yes, my doubt is if there is a use case in which this ever makes a
>  > difference (and if it's valid for svn users), i.e. when you can't use
>  > the host's mixer (using a mixer app outside qemu).  With the
>  > VirtualBox style mixer api the guest and host mixers can be the same
>  > and that would be best to have.
>

> [ Digging through VBox's patch chaos... ] Just to ensure I got it right:
>  You mean dropping vol from SWVoiceOut/In in favor of those global
>  pcm_out/in_volume?

Well, my idea would be to retain volume in SWVoiceOut/In and use
always the volume of the voice that is active to set on host (wm8750.c
only has one active voice at all times).  If more voices are active in
one or more QEMUSoundCard's then I don't know what should happen.
Maybe that's not so useful, and global volume like in your patches is
better.

VBox has this mixing engine which applies volume in software but is
still generic (i.e. sits in audio/).  I don't know what malc thinks
qemu should adapt for mixer control (if anything).

Cheers