qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] OpenGL in qemu

From: Nik
Subject: [Qemu-devel] OpenGL in qemu
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:02:54 +1000

Hi,

I've just found the qemu opengl patch, and will try them shortly.

I have only just started considering how this would be made to work.
However, I don't really understand the reasons behind the choice of structure for the code.

My intentions had been to write a generic opengl video driver and have that forward all opengl calls to the host's opengl libraries. It seemed to me that this would work on linux without modifications of OS or applications.

On Windows, I'm less clear. If I've understood the opengl.org Wiki, then Windows doesn't really provide a real opengl implementation. and therefore each Video card provides its own drivers with (presumably) an opengl implementation inside. So the forwarding opengl driver would still work once we've got Windows to install the driver (with whatever that entails).

I must confess that I'm not really sure whether I would be providing this code as a driver to be called by the graphics library, or whether I would be providing an opengl library replacement (or whether those are actually much the same thing).

It seems that I could base any opengl driver or library on Mesa, and then take whatever pieces from the qemu vga drivers to support the non-opengl video calls.

I can see a number of ways to actually implement the forwarding to the host's opengl system:

1. link the qemu executable with the host's opengl libs. This seems to be the least flexible, but probably the fastest. Distros which supply qemu might prefer this.

2. use a network connection to an external daemon which is linked to the host's graphics system. Either X-forwarding (to X) or a specific protocol (to opengl) could be used.

3. Have qemu dynamically locate and link to the host's opengl system. I have very little idea how best to accomplish this nor how fast it might be, but it seems that using qemu's dynamic translationtechnology would be a reasonable approach.

Finally, I also found the vmgl project which is only linux<->linux, but seems interesting.

Can anyone comment on the relative merits of the approach I've just outlined compared to others, including the existing qemu opengl patch?

Cheers!
Nik