qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [kvm-devel] Feedback and errors

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [kvm-devel] Feedback and errors
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 14:19:30 +0300

Anthony Liguori wrote:
Avi Kivity wrote:
Well, one user (me) has made this mistake, several times.

I guess it's usage patterns. I'm pretty religious about using -snapshot unless I have a very specific reason not to. I have never encountered this problem myself.

Most users cannot use -snapshot for their workloads.

FWIW, the whole override thing for Xen has been an endless source of pain. It's very difficult (if not impossible) to accurately determine if someone else is using the disk.
What's wrong with the standard file locking API? Of course it won't stop non-qemu apps from accessing it, but that's unlikely anyway.

Xen tries to be very smart about determining whether devices are mounted somewhere else or not.

I'm not talking about being too smart.  Just an flock().

Also, it tends to confuse people trying to do something legitimate more often than helping someone doing something stupid.
-drive exclusive=off (or share=yes)

The problem I have is that the default policy gets very complicated. At first thought, I would say it's fine as long as exclusive=off was the default for using -snapshot or using raw images. However, if you create a VM with a qcow image using -snapshot, and then create another one without using snapshot, you're boned.

Well then, default to exclusive=on. If you're using -shapshot you can add the extra parameter as well.

What we really need is a global configuration file so that individual users can select these defaults according to what makes sense for them.

In the mean time, I think the policy vs. mechanism strongly suggests that exclusive=off should be the default (not to mention maintaining backwards compatibility).

The problem is that this is bad for users.