qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu 32-bit i386, gcc >= 3.4 spill error fix

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu 32-bit i386, gcc >= 3.4 spill error fix
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 12:32:34 +0100

On Sunday 04 May 2008, Ben Taylor wrote:
> This patch applies some additional flags to op.c and helper.c
> for compiling on i386 32-bit systems with gcc >= 3.4.
>
> This has been tested on both ubuntu 7.10/32-bit and
> Solaris SXCE/32-bit with both gcc-3.3 and gcc-3.4
> and the behavior is consistent between both.
These hacks are sufficient fickle, and gcc versions sufficiently
meaningless[1], that I don't think we should do this.  If you really want to
fix this, do it properly and finish the TCG conversion.

Paul

[1] As with most open source software a version number does not uniquely
identify a binary. In my experience pretty much noone uses unpatched FSF
releases directly.