qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] [kinda-resend] persistent real-time-clock

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] [kinda-resend] persistent real-time-clock
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 17:38:13 -0500

Avi Kivity wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:

I'm not sure I understood what you suggest here.

Plainly storing the rtc state on file is not enough, as unlike with real
hardware, nothing will advance it when the power is off.

If you made the CMOS non-volatile, what you would store in the CMOS is the clock-offset, not the actual clock time. Then when the VM started up again, it would Just Work.

You would probably have to use a different location in CMOS to store the offset than what the guest relies on to read the current time.

Under this, the CMOS would not be read by the guest at any time. So why store the CMOS at all? Store the offset somewhere and avoid the CMOS (gaining the ability to work on targets without nonvolatile memory).

It's config file territory, not CMOS.

It's a bios parameter (just like default boot device). It makes sense to allow the bios to let the user customize bios parameters and have that be saved.

CMOS is non-volatile in real life so making it non-volatile in QEMU seems like the obvious thing to do.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori