qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [4341] qemu: generate signals on tap I/O

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [4341] qemu: generate signals on tap I/O
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 17:50:51 -0500

Anders wrote:
Aurelien Jarno wrote:

That's why I reverted that commit, it was for my local tree only, I
committed it accidentally (along with a few other patches).

Ah, okay. I only read the subject of your reverts, which did not mention 4341.

I posted a more complete implementation a few weeks ago, anything wrong
with it?

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/24567

People saying it is not the way to go, and I have still haven't decided
myself if it is a correct solution or not.

The current code is also not a correct solution.

Well, I will just keep it in my local tree.

BTW, the biggest problem with tap networking in QEMU seems to be packet loss. The fd_can_read handler is completely ignored for tap which means that if the device isn't ready to receive a packet, the packet is simply dropped.

I have a patch that fixes this but the only driver that has a proper fd_can_read handler right now is virtio-net. I plan on including this tap fix in my next round of virtio patches.

Addressing the packet loss issue improves TCP streaming performance by 4x. In contrast, eliminating the copy in the virtio-net device only improves performance by about 10% (although it will probably be a lot more when tun/tap supports zero-copy).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Cheers,
Anders.