qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: LSI: avoid infinite loops

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: LSI: avoid infinite loops
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 01:39:38 +0100

On Thursday 08 May 2008, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 12:21:54AM +0100, Paul Brook wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 May 2008, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> > > The Windows driver has SCRIPTS code which busy loops on main memory. So
> > > give the CPU's a chance to run if that happens.
> >
> > I'm kinda surprised this works.  What causes the scripts engine to be
> > restarted?
>
> LSI_ISTAT0_SIGP.

In that case my surprise continues, and this is looking like an unbelievably
horrid hack.

By my reading you're making LSI_ISTAT0_SIGP effect whatever instruction
happens to be executing when we stall. You get doubly lucky because (a) the
guest OS decides to bang on SIGP, even though it doesn't need to. And (b) the
last instruction executed happens to have set dnad to a value that "works".
I'm guessing you always happen to stop execution on the conditional jump
instruction and taking that jump doesn't cause any bad effects, right?

Paul