qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Debugging vmlinux with qemu and gdb. Unable to step, ne

From: Edgar E. Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Debugging vmlinux with qemu and gdb. Unable to step, next, print or to get any information..
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:02:43 +0200

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 07:51:00AM -0500, Jason Wessel wrote:
> Edgar E. Iglesias wrote:

> >> Are these packets in wide use yet?  If not, I'd really recommend you
> >> use qRcmd instead; then the GDB command is just "monitor", e.g.
> >> "monitor show sstepbits".  maint packet isn't really intended for
> >> users.
> >>

> > Thanks for the comments Daniel.
> >
> > This patch tries to change the syntax into this:
> > % monitor sstepbits
> > % monitor sstep
> > % monitor sstep=0x05
> >
> > Or would a show/set interface be prefered for some reason (e.g, monitor
> > show sstepbits, monitor show sstep, monitor set sstep 0x5)?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >

> The patch itself looks ok, but if you can hold off committing it, I'll
> provide you with a two patch series in the next day or so which has even
> more functionality.   I implemented gdb monitor commands as well as
> "qemu pass through monitor" commands where you can using the gdb monitor
> command to send commands and receive input from the qemu monitor as well.

Btw, while your at it you might want to consider another comment. When trying
the sstep I felt it was easy to get confused with the negated bitmasks. Maybe
we should invert them?

The default bitmask would change to 1. And sstepbits would be
"ENABLE=1,IRQ=2,TIMERS=4". Does that make sense?

Best regards
--
Edgar E. Iglesias
Axis Communications AB