qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Problem installing NT4 under QEMU 0.9.1 - IDE driver error

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Problem installing NT4 under QEMU 0.9.1 - IDE driver error under high load?
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:28:23 +0100

Hi there,

I've been trying to install NT 4.0 workstation on a local qemu 0.9.1 instance under Linux x86_64, and I believe that I have come across an error within the IDE driver under high load.

My initial process was as follows:

1) Image the installation CD on my local machine; this was to speed up the installation process
        dd if=/media/cdrom of=winnt4.img bs=1024

2) Create a new disk image
        qemu-image create ntfs.img 2G

3) Fire up qemu and run the install:
        qemu-system-x86_64 -hda /home/images/ntfs.img -cdrom
        winnt4.img -vnc localhost:11 -no-acpi -win2k-hack -boot d

4) Run through the NT4 installation process

5) Reboot

Upon reboot, I get a BSOD and errors about files being corrupted on the partition. However the error goes away, and the install completes fine after the reboot if I use the cdrom directly, i.e. I run qemu like this:

qemu-system-x86_64 -hda /home/images/ntfs.img -cdrom
        /dev/hda -vnc localhost:11 -no-acpi -win2k-hack -boot d

If I execute 'md5sum winnt4.img' and 'md5sum /dev/hda' then I get back the same MD5 hash for both the physical CDROM copy and the local CD image, so I am fairly sure the local CD image is not corrupt. I have also tried with/without -win2k-hack and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

My theory is that there is some form of race condition in the IDE driver related to the transfer speed. When using the local winnt4.img CD image, the installation is very quick, but the resulting file system appears to be corrupted. When I use the real CD inserted into /dev/hda, the installation is much slower but the file system appears fine.

Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms during normal QEMU usage?

Many thanks,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland