qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Sensible VNC encodings

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Sensible VNC encodings
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 14:02:10 +0100

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 07:55:37AM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On May 21, 2008, at 3:20 AM, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >for those interested, I finally broke down and updated my personal
> >fork of
> >QEmu using LibVNCServer.  Amongst the benefits are Tight, ZRLE and
> >ZYWRLE
> >encodings.  Note that TLS is not supported with LibVNCServer, but
> >nobody
> >in her right mind uses VNC without an SSH tunnel anyway.
>
> It might be a good idea to have this as an additional output, not as a
> replacement for the VNC support as it is now. Think of a system, where
> libvncserver is not available.

[snip]

> I personally prefer reusage of code, so the general idea of using
> libvncserver is great!

My experiance with libvncserver has not been at all pleasant, finding it
to be seriously crash happy and near impossible to debug, particuarly
with its multithread code. We used to use it in Xen for the paravirt
framebuffer server but because of its unreliability, libvncserver was
ripped out and now Xen hooks into the QEMU VNC server code instead.
While QEMU's existing code may not support as many encodings, it is it
clearly written, easy to debug and doesn't crash. If there's more
encodings we need to support for performance then IMHO they should be
added to the existing code.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|