qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Support For Octeon/Cavium CPU (MIPS system)

From: M. Warner Losh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Support For Octeon/Cavium CPU (MIPS system)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:55:42 -0600 (MDT)

In message: <address@hidden>
            Paul Brook <address@hidden> writes:
: > I own a cavium/octeon board. I run a linux on it.
: >
: > I want to usr qemu for convenience in order to continue my developpements.
: >
: > I know that Cavium/octeon board are MIPS CPU.
:
: Not really. They're MIPS with extra weirdness.

All SoCs are MIPS with extra documented weirdness.  The OCTEON CPUs
aren't documented in a public...

: Your kernel needs to match the exact CPU and board that you're
: emulating. i.e.  if you want to use an unmodified kernel you need to
: add support for both the CPU and board to qemu.

This is true.  fortunately, many other SoCs have had their support
added to QEMU...

Warner