qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [4544] added tcg_temp_free() and improved the handling

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [4544] added tcg_temp_free() and improved the handling of constants
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 19:03:35 +0100

> added tcg_temp_free() and improved the handling of constants

Should the return value of tcg_const_i32 et. al. be considered immutable, or
is it ok to use it as a temporary?

e.g.:

static TCGv do_frob(TCGv base, int addend)
{
  TCGv tmp = tcg_const_i32(addend);
  tcg_gen_helper_frob(tmp, tmp, base)
  return tmp;
}

or should this be written as:

static TCGv do_frob(TCGv base, int addend)
{
  TCGv tmp = tcg_temp_new(TCG_TYPE_I32);
  tcg_gen_movi_i32(tmp, addend);
  tcg_gen_helper_frob(tmp, tmp, base)
  return tmp;
}

Currently it's fairly hard to enforce this restriction automatically, but we
need to decide whether it's a feature or a bug.

Paul