qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Status of sun4u emulation?

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Status of sun4u emulation?
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 19:00:58 +0300

On 5/26/08, Markus Dahms <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I'm curious about the status of the Sparc64/Sun4U emulation. I tried
>  to execute a little hello world program without success (output below).
>  The program runs fine on real hardware, the same little thing built for
>  sparc32 does what expected with qemu-sparc.

The error (0x37) is privileged action, this should not happen with
normal executables. I'd be happy to debug the binary if you sent it to
me.

>  I'm also wondering why sparc64-softmmu is not build by default (not in
>  TARGET_DIRS).

Well, there are bugs in the emulation as you have noticed. Moreover a
full 64-bit user environment is not very common on Sparc so nobody has
been very interested in it except  me.

>  Another sparc-related question: is there a way to press Stop-A in
>  system emulation mode? I even have a Stop key using a Sun Type 6 USB
>  keyboard on my PC, but that doesn't seem to be enough...

No, though that's in TODO. The problem IIRC is that the X11 keys are
translated to PC values before getting translated to Type 4 codes.