qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] An organizational suggestion

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] An organizational suggestion
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 11:54:25 -0500

Ian Jackson wrote:
Jamie Lokier writes ("Re: [Qemu-devel] An organizational suggestion"):
It's the Linus Torvalds school of flow control.  If you don't get a
reply, try again.

I see.  That seems rather rude to me, so I don't do it.  Am I really
supposed to keep a list of my outstanding patches and retransmit them
like some kind of bandwidth-hogging peer-to-peer application ?

The DCO process can really help here. The simple fact is that most of the committers to QEMU are not paid to be full-time maintainers. As such, their time is limited. There is a lot of noise on qemu-devel (this thread being a good example ;-)).

If you review a patch, and are happy with it, offer an Acked-by. When comitters go through reviewing patches to commit, it makes it much easier for them to determine whether a patch should be committed or not.

If everyone did that, then the number of patches accepted would go
down rather than up, surely ?  Because everyone would be spending
their time wading through all these resends, rather than paying
attention to the content.

Try marking the subject with [RESEND]. Quite a lot of projects require patches to be resent. In fact, in the early days of Xen, this was often the case. [RESEND] tends to be a polite way to help maintainers be more responsive too.

Also - implicit in your comment that it's a form of `flow control' is
that it's caused by a lack of upstream capacity.  I think that part is
very true.  We do have a lack of capacity, which can be solved in this
case by adding one or more people I think.

There are already a lot of committers in QEMU. There are 9 people with commit access to QEMU. There is only 1 person with commit access to KVM and that includes a full copy of QEMU. What's needed is someone to take the time, on a day-by-day basis, to review patches, and queue them.

Magnus posted a list of outstanding patches a while ago, I think that's the right approach. I'll spend some time today to try and collect outstanding patches.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Qemu is not a very large project in the grand scheme of things, and we
can hopefully avoid the kind of very cumbersome and heavyweight
processes which surround the Linux kernel.

Ian.