qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion for testing framework

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion for testing framework
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 12:36:25 +0200

Balazs Attila-Mihaly (Cd-MaN) wrote:
Hello all

It seems that there is agreement that some sort of automated testing
is "a good thing" ;-). I'll have some free time in the next couple of
days and plan on throwing something like this together on a spare
box. I was thinking along the lines:

- several qemu images (one with Debian, one with Windows XP - I can
get a free student license for it, etc) - a script does a checkout of
the trunk, checks if the version number is different from the last
checkout (to avoid spamming the list :-)) - the script introduces the
source in each VM, starts the VM and lets the different compilers
available in the VM (like gcc 3.3, 3.4, mingw) compile the source -
if the compile fails, it collects the error logs - if the compile
succeeds, performance and functionality tests are run with the
resulting binary - the is the most nebulous part for the moment for
me - if I recall Fabrice said that compiling something inside a VM is
a good performance test... - results are sumitted to the list - if
you are ok with that, I wouldn't want to spam the list

Please comment if you find the testing methodology good and what
performance and functionality test should the process include...

I want to do such automated testing and performance measurements since a long time, but never found the time to do them. My idea was close to what you suggest, i.e:

Every day:
- do a checkout
- compile all the versions on i386 and x86_64
- publish the binary packages
- run the linux-user tests with the user emulators
- run some of the disk images with the system emulators.
- run benchmarks (gcc compilation, nbench)
- install and test some commercial OSes (this part cannot be redistributed of course)

The results should be published on a web site, not on the mailing list.

Fabrice.