qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] what is needed to shutdown a guest (including Qemu proc

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] what is needed to shutdown a guest (including Qemu process)?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:58:33 +0200

On 10/06/2008, Tomasz Chmielewski <address@hidden> wrote:
> Paul Brook schrieb:
>

> > On Tuesday 10 June 2008, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to run Debian Etch with Qemu 0.9.1, using ARM Versatile/PB
> > > machine emulation, with a self-compiled 2.6.20 kernel.
> > >
> > > Everything works fine, except that I can't shutdown the guest properly.
> > >
> > > When I want to halt the guest system, it shutdowns just fine up to:
> > >
> > >   Will now halt.
> > >   Synchronizing SCSI cache for disk sda:
> > >   System halted.
> > >
> > > But the qemu-system-arm process continues to run.
> > >

> > AFAIK the versatile/pb hardware doesn't have any mechanism for powering
> off. You have to kill it manually.
> >

>  Does anyone know if any of other ARM flavour emulated by Qemu is able to
> power off?

If you mean any other ARM-based machine, the N800 and Palm T|E can and
also the Neo1973 (in svn.openmoko.org).  They lack other features that
versatile/PB has, though.  They are all embedded systems and Versatile
may be the most pc-like machine with an ARM cpu in qemu.

You can modify the versatile kernel to issue some signal to shut down
but that will only work in qemu.
--
Please do not print this email unless absolutely necessary. Spread
environmental awareness.