qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU configuration files

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU configuration files
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:40:35 +0100

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 08:12:52PM +0200, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My snapshot of the "object based" QEMU configuration system can be found
> at http://bellard.org/qemu/patches . I only tried it for x86 targets. It
> is not yet in committable state and comments are welcome !
>
> General ideas:
>
> - User preferences and machine definitions are separated. User
> preferences are in ~/.qemu/config for Unix systems. Machine definitions
> can override user preferences but I believe it should be the exception.

I'd like the ability to explicitly not use any user preferences at
all, rather than having to override each individual setting. This
would make it easier for me to invoke QEMU from libvirt with a predictable
configuration that I can guarnetee to be identical on any host regardless
of how a user my have their preferences setup.

It could also be useful to be able to specify a alternative preferences
file instead of the default $HOME/.qemu/config

Regards,
Daniel