qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to use -append to automate Ubuntu install?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to use -append to automate Ubuntu install?
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:42:09 -0500

David Barrett wrote:
What's the proper way to use -append to automatically select and begin an Ubuntu installation? I tried this, but nothing happened (ie, it behaves the same as if I didn't set it):

sudo qemu -cdrom Ubuntu_8.04_i386.iso -append "file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed initrd=/install/initrd.qz quiet --" test.raw

-append only works in combination with -kernel.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

I expected it to automatically begin the default desktop install (pressing F6 at the install prompt shows that this is the boot line the installer uses), but instead it just prompted me as normal.

I'm pretty familiar with QEMU, but I've never used -append before so I'm not sure how to accomplish what I'm trying. Can you offer any suggestions? Thanks!

-david