qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] "A disk read error occurred"

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] "A disk read error occurred"
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:31:00 +0100

Jamie Lokier wrote:

Yes, very similar, except I saw the problem _without_ migrating
anything.  Windows 2000 was installed _inside_ QEMU (with no special
-hdachs setting) from its CD installer.  It couldn't boot its own
install after restarting QEMU.

I looked at the partition with fdisk, then copied the c,h,s values to
-hdachs...

...and QEMU said the values were out of range and refused to start!

So I guessed some values which were not what fdisk reported, and it
worked and booted fine.

Yeah, I went through exactly the same process with -hdachs myself :) If you still have the broken image around, it would be interesting to compare the CHS settings between the MBR and VBR on your QEMU-installed copy to see what values you were getting...

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland