qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Setting new user:group with -daemonize?

From: David Barrett
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Setting new user:group with -daemonize?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:09:27 -0700

Is there any way to make the qemu process change users after daemonizing?

Basically, I want to start it as root so I can have it "-redir" with a low port (80), and then change to a non-root user after daemonizing. Is there any way to do this currently?

Thankfully it opens the -redir port before forking, so it looks like a straightforward change to vc.c: basically adding a call to "setuid()" and "setgid()" after the call to "chdir()" on line 8711.

I'd update the -daemonize syntax as follows:

        -daemonize [user[:group]]

Is there any interest in such a patch?

-david

PS: Why does it fork twice?