qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Setting new user:group with -daemonize?

From: David Barrett
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Setting new user:group with -daemonize?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:14:28 -0700

Anthony Liguori wrote:
David Barrett wrote:

I'd update the -daemonize syntax as follows:

    -daemonize [user[:group]]

Is there any interest in such a patch?

If you introduced two new options to specify the user and the group.

Ok, so you're saying you prefer two new options:

-user <user>
-group <group>

Also, I would be interested in a chroot option too :-)

Adding the following also seems easy enough:

-chroot <path>

If I build it, any estimate of how long it'd take to make it into the next mainline release?

PS: Why does it fork twice?

It makes sure QEMU is an orphan process (it's parent is pid 1). It's a pretty typical thing to do when daemonizing.

Ah, very clever.

-david