qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] How to get target system display with qemu -nographic optio

From: Atoosah
Subject: [Qemu-devel] How to get target system display with qemu -nographic option?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:50:46 -0700

When -nographic is specified, no graphical window is created.  The only
way to see the graphics window is using the VNC option.

If I run the program with graphics enabled (i.e. no -nographic option) I get the login prompt and then the password. From then on, the display is in shell prompt mode. So, does -nographic mean that I won't be able to access this display? If so, it seems very limiting without being able to run experiments on our guest machine.

Furthermore, when -nographic is specified, I think "-monitor" defaults
to "serial", meaning the actual serial output is overridden by the qemu
monitor.  To change this, look at "-monitor" and direct it somewhere
else (such as to a TCP stream).

I'd appreciate if you'd explain a bit more what you mean by "serial output is overridden by the qemu
monitor"..

Does this help?

Thank you. I'm still looking at the vnc option. Just to make sure the /etc/inittab that is modified (with 7:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS0 9600 vt100-nav) should be the guests or the hosts? I'm a newbie in this area, so any help would be appreciated.

-david