qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qcow2 - safe on kill? safe on power fail?

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qcow2 - safe on kill? safe on power fail?
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:11:09 +0300

Anthony Liguori wrote:
Avi Kivity wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:

Sure you can. If you don't have a battery backed disk cache and are using write-back (which is usually the default), you can definitely get corruption of the journal. Likewise, under the right scenarios, you will get journal corruption with the default mount options of ext3 because it doesn't use barriers.

What about SCSI or SATA NCQ? On these, barriers don't impact performance greatly.

Good question, I don't know the answer. But ext3 doesn't autodetect SCSI/NCQ or anything. It disabled barriers by default. Some distros have changed this behavior historically (SLES I believe).

This ought to be on the driver level. SCSI and NCQ disks should report barrier support; old IDE should report no barriers unless the user sets dont_care_about_performance_and_have_unlimited_warranty=1. ext* should use barriers if available.

Of course this is linux-kernel material, not really on topic for this list.

This is very hard to see happen in practice though because these windows are very small--just like with QEMU.

The exposure window with qemu is not small. It's as large as the page cache of the host.

Note I was careful to qualify my statements that cache=off was required.

Ah, okay then.

Qemu should be written assuming the underlying layers are sane; trying to work around Linux bugs is madness.

signature is too narrow to contain.