qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac OS X PPC host support (was: [4932] Preliminary PPC6

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac OS X PPC host support (was: [4932] Preliminary PPC64/Linux host support)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:28:10 +0200

Am 27.07.2008 um 20:14 schrieb malc:

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Andreas F?rber wrote:

Am 26.07.2008 um 20:54 schrieb malc:

there are currently numbers hardcoded for Linux.
It's not just about numbers, last time i looked (cursory) the ABIs where a lot different (PPC32 case) just changing the numbers wont get one very
far i think.

Of course not only, but it's one step that could be applied. The stack alignment is 16 Bytes for both, and the prolog in my ppc(32) branch seems to match the referenced Apple pseudocode now.

Where else do you have differences in mind? Which additional functions may need to be adjusted?

I'd have to check Darwins ABI to be sure, but here's the short list:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/LowLevelABI/Articles/32bitPowerPC.html

a. Alignement of 64 bit arguments (in the register file)
   (This was the thing that confused Sparcs ASI helpers when i first
    tried to boot Sparc on, then new, PPC32 tcg)

What register file? Please be more detailed, I'm not intimate with TCG.

b. List of reserved registers

According to the Apple ppc ABI document, r2 is not system-reserved compared to SVR4 ppc ABI. The other general-purpose registers look similar (assuming we don't have nested functions), although Apple seems to have less strict prescriptions what to store where.

c. The approach to TOC (or however Apple calls the substitute)

Not sure what you mean. Pointers to concrete files and functions might help.

In any case, PPC32 + MacOS X i can help with. PPC64 + MacOS X not so much.

Restoring Mac OS X ppc(32) to work again would be just great.
PPC64 didn't work pre-TCG. We'll probably know where to poke ourselves once ppc is running.

Andreas