qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] targets that still use dyngen

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] targets that still use dyngen
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:13:18 +0200

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 00:11 +0400, malc wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, C.W. Betts wrote:
>
> > What targets still use dyngen?  According to the current source tree,
> > Alpha,
> > CRIS PowerPC, and SH4 are still using dyngen; they have an op.c file in
> > their
> > target- directory:
> > ls */op.c
> > target-alpha/op.c   target-cris/op.c        target-ppc/op.c
> > target-sh4/op.c
>
> > I know nothing about architecture design, so I don't know how much
> > effort would be needed to get the rest of these targets to use TCG.
> > I know somebody here (malc) has helped make the TCG backends for
> > PowerPC, and surely the work for the front-end wouldn't be that much
> > harder (I say naively).  Also, is anyone doing work porting these to
> > TCG that we don't know about?
>
> It is harder, also much more tedious and requiring intimate knowlege of
> underlying architecture.

I haved planned to port Alpha and PowerPC to tgc, but got no time /
running reference hardware to do it properly at this time. I suppose I
would start with Alpha, which is a very simple target, as a training
before starting porting PowerPC. And before starting working on PowerPC,
I have to isolate and fix various regressions that have been committed
during the last monthes (but still I need to have my PowerPC references
platforms running to be able to validate the fixes).

Talking about Alpha, I would greatly like someone who actually has
knowledge of this platform to go on developping it, as I got no hardware
to compare with and validate the emulation. If anyone feels like working
on it, at least try to compare Qemu behavior with actual hardware and
report bugs....

Regards.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>