qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: Control over drive open modes for backing file

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: Control over drive open modes for backing file
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 10:14:56 -0500

Jamie Lokier wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
Can I arbitrarily branch off different snapshots within a single qcow2
file?  Can I delete the 'base' snapshots safely?  Most important: what
happens if I have snapshots in a qcow2 file which has a base file, and
I type 'commit'?  Does it corrupt all the snapshots, effectively?
snapshots are linear, not branching. And they are only every saved/loaded from the highest level qcow2 file.

So if I understand that right, the 'commit' command (to write to the
base image) _will_ corrupt all the snapshots since they depend on the
base image and it just changed??

Yes, so don't do that.

BTW, commit is a pretty useless command IMHO. If you use it to save a snapshot of a disk image while the OS has it mounted, you're not getting a very good backup.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Regards,

Anthony Liguori