qemu-devel

Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Re: [libvirt] RE: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] virt-mem t

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Re: [libvirt] RE: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] virt-mem tools version 0.2.8 released
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:06:27 +0100

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 11:47:39AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 07:40:58PM +0900, Jun Koi wrote:
> > One of the problem is that these tools work via libvirt, so on a VM is
> > not managed by libvirt, these tools no longer work.
>
> That's not a problem - that's a reason to use libvirt :-) It allows the
> same tools to work whether using Xen, QEMU, KVM or any other full machine
> virtualization suported by libvirt, rather than being tied to one particular
> hypervisor. Not to mention ability to run them remotely, with authentication
> and encryption, etc

We also support running the tools from memory images which you can
capture using the QEMU "memsave" command (see the '-t' option).  No
libvirt required for that, _but_ to see any interesting stuff you'd
need to capture the entire guest memory which could obviously be quite
large.

You could do 'virt-mem capture' which captures just the bits of memory
that contain interesting data, and that reduces the amount of data you
need to capture substantially.  Unfortunately I broke 'virt-mem
capture' in the latest release by accident, and in any case it
requires libvirt to do the capturing.

I think the message here is, install libvirt & be happy :-)

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top