qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] problems in installing an image

From: Walter Cazzola
Subject: [Qemu-devel] problems in installing an image
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:29:28 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Developers,
I'm not sure to write to the correct list but I didn't find a mailing
list devoted to qemu users.

I'm a beginner in the use of qemu so probably I'm mistaking something
and I'm in the need to install the mandriva linux on a qemu image file.

I've followed the quick start guide at

  http://calamari.reverse-dns.net:980/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/QuickStartGuide

and created the image file with "qemu-img create -f qcow2 c.img 3G"
without problems. The problems raise when I try to install the mandriva
from the install disk with the command:

            qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda c.img -m 256 -boot d

I have tried both the latest 2008.1 version and the old 2007.0 but in
both cases I get the same result:

    - the installation process starts
    - I chose from the menu "install Mandriva Linux 2008.1 spring edition"
    - I got the message "Loading Linux Kernel"

then the qemu window become black and also after several hours didn't
change. With the 2007 version the only change is the message I get in the
second step.

Do you have any idea where my mistake is?

Do you know if there are already prepared disk images with linux
mandriva installed?

My config is Mandriva Linux 2008.1 with qemu version 0.9.0, I'm ranning
on a dell inspiron 9300 with 2.2Ghz CPU and 1Gb of RAM if this helps.

Thanks a lot for the help you can give me.

Best Regards
Walter

--
Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
E-mail address@hidden Ph.: +39 02 503 16300  Fax: +39 02 503 16100