qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] AMD 100% CPU bug; patch available?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] AMD 100% CPU bug; patch available?
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:17:46 -0500

David Barrett wrote:
Can anybody confirm that qemu works on an AMD processor with a Linux host and Linux guest (ideally Ubuntu 8.04 in both cases) without using 100% CPU? (qemu process on the host uses 100% CPU despite all processes on the guest being idle.)

Or is there a known bug that qemu with a Ubuntu guest always uses 100% CPU on AMD Ubuntu hosts? If so, is there a patch or workaround for it?

I don't know this for certain, but it's the only pattern I can see: I've run qemu on a bunch of laptops and servers over the past 12 months -- often with the exact same image and exact same commands -- and some hosts see the guest VM use limited CPU, and others a solid 100%. This seems to be the case whether or not -kernel-kqemu is used.

Do you still see this if you use -no-kqemu?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori