qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] License issues

From: Simson Garfinkel
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] License issues
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:43:53 -0700

On Aug 14, 2008, at 7:47 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

Simson Garfinkel wrote:
Greetings. Yesterday I posted a query regarding the license of some of the .h files.

Basically, all of the image layer files area clearly licensed to have no restrictions, but some of the necessary .h files are missing that license.

Who is responsible for maintaining the license of the .h files?

Whoever originally committed the code. If you look at the LICENSE file, I think the safe thing to assume is that if a file doesn't have an explicit license associated with it, it is licensed under the GPL.

Thanks for responding, Anthony.

I agree with the explicit statement. However, it doesn't seem to make sense in this case. The disk image .c files are all explicitly unrestricted, but they include .h files for which the license is unstated. So my feeling is that this is an oversight.

Is this even relevant for .h files? They do not contain executable code that is compiled.

The reason that I am asking is that I want to use the QEMU VDK support for a forensic software library that I maintain, but I do not want the library to be GPL'ed. If I need to, I'll rewrite the .h files, but this seems like a waste of time if it is not necessary.

-Simson