qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vnc port selection

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vnc port selection
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:31:05 -0500

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
  Hi folks,

Xen's qemu-dm version has a '-vncunused' command line switch which asks
the internal vnc server to pick any unused tcp port to listen on.  The
actual port is communicated to the outside world via xenstore.

I'm looking for a reasonable way to implement that functionality in
upstream qemu.  First, I think it shouldn't be a separate command line
switch but an option for the existion -vnc switch.

Maybe something like a to=N option.  So you would have:

-vnc localhost:0,to=10

That would try from displays 0 to 10 and select the first one it could attach to.

  Second, we need a
way to communicate the port picked which isn't xen-specific.  Obvious
choice is a monitor info subcommand.

There's already an info vnc.  It can be added to that.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Comments?  Other suggestions?

cheers,