qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] openSUSE Buildservice: cross-build using qemu in "User Mode

From: Martin Mohring
Subject: [Qemu-devel] openSUSE Buildservice: cross-build using qemu in "User Mode" => qemu issues
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:34:17 +0200

Hi,

my name is Martin Mohring and I am one of the developers of the openSUSE Buildservice (part of the openSUSE Projekt opensuse.org, is also openSource). I contribute the embedded Support to the distribution and also cross-development to the openSUSE Buildservice. OBS Release 1.0 <http://news.opensuse.org/2008/07/09/opensuse-build-service-10-released> is out. I am also the maintainer of the development project which engineers the OBS and tests and releases it.

Jan Kiszka told me I should write about the issues found here on the qemu-devel mailing list. We are currently implementing a new variant of cross-build capability in the OBS using qemu "User Mode" emulation. In order to function properly on newer linux distributions for powerpc/arm, tls/nptl and futex support is beginning to materialize now in "linux-user", as I have noticed. Since we also want to use qemu-ppc with new glibc 2.6 or newer variants (using futex and tls/nptl syscalls), the changes changes around version -r4616 (NPTL host detection and futex syscall passthrough) and -r4610 (Implement ARM magic kernel page and TLS register) need to be put into powerpc user mode also. If I correctly understood, the change in -r4610 would also be needed to get nptl running on powerpc.

I also read in one of the e-mail the very short message "thread safety and tls/nptl is under work", I think this e-mail was by paul brook. What do you have currently planned wrt. to "User Emulation" mode, especially on powerpc? Below you will find some output of qemu-ppc.

Since we are good testers of qemu with many linux distro variants (openSUS Buildservice has currently implemented all "big" linux distros as build targets), I would also be looking forward to give you more test results if you whish.

Martin

PS: Below you will also find the error with which the OBS fails inside qemu (at the very bottom). "syscall 221" is futex on powerpc, and I think "fork: Invalid argument" is the result of USE_NPTL not yet working on powerpc. -------------------------------------------------cut here----------------------------------------------------
.init_b_cache/scripts/aaa_base.pre: fork: Invalid argument
running aaa_base postinstall script
.init_b_cache/scripts/aaa_base.post: fork: Invalid argument
initializing rpm db...
qemu: Unsupported syscall: 221
qemu: Unsupported syscall: 221