qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for an SH4 QEMU-ready kernel (for TCG conversio

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for an SH4 QEMU-ready kernel (for TCG conversion)
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:36:15 +0200

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 06:36:36PM +0200, Andreas Färber wrote:

> Am 30.08.2008 um 00:29 schrieb Aurelien Jarno:
>
> >On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:12:13PM +0200, Andreas Färber wrote:
> >>Hi,

> >>I'd be interested in helping with ppc but I have a problem testing
> >>such
> >>changes: ppc-softmmu does not boot anything, ppc-linux-user does
> >>not seem
> >
> >ppc-softmmu is able to boot prep kernels (-M prep), but
> >unfortunately the
> >support for this platform has been removed from upstream along with
> >the
> >ppc/ arch (since 2.6.26).
>
> According to Wikipedia, Debian and NetBSD still maintain PReP support.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_Reference_Platform

This is now mostly wrong, PReP support in Debian has been removed from
unstable just after the release of Etch. Debian Lenny won't support it.

> What's missing in QEMU's default g3bw machine that only PReP is known
> to work? I've tested booting into Debian 4.0 r4a netinst CD (2.6.18?)
> on a real PowerMac G3 blue&white and it works.

A decent BIOS.

> Does removal of "the ppc/ arch" in 2.6.26 above imply that recent
> Linux kernels will only work on ppc64 and power?

The ppc/ arch is a new way of supporting both PowerPC and PowerPC64
machines. The CPU support is the same, but it only supports machines
that have been ported to this new arch. Theoretically it is possible
to add PReP support to the ppc/ arch, but nobody cares anymore about
PReP.

--
  .''`.  Aurelien Jarno             | GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
 `. `'   address@hidden         | address@hidden