qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] physical memory allocation?

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: [Qemu-devel] physical memory allocation?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:11:25 +0200

  Hi folks,

I've looked at the physical guest memory allocation code (aka
qemu_vmalloc).  Reason is that I need some way to map guest memory pages
to a second location in virtual memory.  Thus I need a filehandle for
the memory, so I can mmap() pages from it somewhere.

I've seen there is a phys_ram_fd variable defined in exec.c.  It isn't
used anywhere though.  kqemu seems to have very simliar needs, there is
some code to back guest memory using a file in /dev/shm.

How about doing that *unconditionally*, not just for kqemu?

cheers,
  Gerd