qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] Ali Chipset support for PC [+ questions about a

From: Tristan Gingold
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] Ali Chipset support for PC [+ questions about alpha-softmmu target]
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:17:12 +0200

* What state is the alpha cpu emulation in, and what's the best way to
test it?

Still beta.  It was not maintained nor tested for a while.  And bugs
were recently found.

Anything that I can do to help?  I worked on es40 (mostly pc-style
hardware stuff) so if I can help I'd like to.

A simple printf("Hello world\n") program compiled on linux now works on qemu (patches pending). So the cpu emulation is not that bad. There are still a lot to check (FPU,
overflow) but they are less frequently used.

* Looking over some of the softmmu targets, it looks like the bulk of target work (after the cpu emulation, of course) is just attaching all
of the devices in the right places.

Booting might be an issue too as alpha boots from icache.
It looks like es40 has an IO-TLB which is not present in standard
PC.  I suppose Sparc64 has also
an IO-TLB but I didn't look further.

Yeah, the icache thing will be interesting. Looking at es40, the icache
looks like its only used during the rom decompression stage.  es40
creates a decompressed rom file on the first run and it looks like the
first uint64 is the PC, and the second uint64 is the PAL_BASE.  That
should be enough to get the system up and running (after a software- only call_pal instruction is implemented)...and it doesn't seem to mess with
the icache in that case.

I may look at a standalone rom extractor, so you can give it the
cl67srmrom.exe file and drop out a ready-to-run rom file.

So if you get the SRM decompressed from es40, you can start to work on the softmmu
emulation.

Tristan.