qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with `change' monitor command

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with `change' monitor command
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:57:04 +0100

Robert Riebisch wrote:
> I'm using QEMU 0.9.1 and SVN on Win32 to emulate an x86 PC environment.
>
> With `change floppy0 foo.img' I'm able to use another floppy image on
> the fly, but this will only work, if the new floppy image is of the same
> size as the old one. Switching from, e.g., 1.44M to 2.88M is not
> recognized by the guest OS. Even rebooting the VM doesn't help, because
> CMOS value 0x10 ("Floppy Drive Type") won't be adjusted.
> (http://www.brl.ntt.co.jp/people/takehiko/interrupt/CMOS.LST.txt)

I agree that CMOS should be adjusted, but only on the next reboot.

Changing floppy _drive_ type is not possible until the next reboot,
and it might confuse the OS to try it: you can't replace a floppy
drive on a real PC while the OS is running either.

It might be possible to force the drive type to 2.88M at boot time
even with a 1.44 image, though.  I think those drives can read smaller
capacity disks, and the OS should be fine with that.

-- Jamie