qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] move MAX_CPUS to cpu.h

From: Jes Sorensen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] move MAX_CPUS to cpu.h
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:53:30 +0200

Paul Brook wrote:
On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Jes Sorensen wrote:
Paul> Anything using the value to allocate per-cpu structures will be
Paul> wrong.

What do you mean? There's plenty places where you will want to only
allocate enough space for the number of cpus you want to support.

Some ARM boards have 4 cpus, they just don't use the -smp option.

So what you're saying is that we need to distinguish between number of
possible CPUs and how many we allow for a given type of emulation? It
seems to me that using MAX_CPUS to be the maximum possible for an
architecture is fair and we should then maybe put it into the machine
description to set the upper limit for actual runtime ones?

Cheers,
Jes