qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] move MAX_CPUS to cpu.h

From: Jes Sorensen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] move MAX_CPUS to cpu.h
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:10:42 +0200

Paul Brook wrote:
On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Jes Sorensen wrote:
So what you're saying is that we need to distinguish between number of
possible CPUs and how many we allow for a given type of emulation? It
seems to me that using MAX_CPUS to be the maximum possible for an
architecture is fair and we should then maybe put it into the machine
description to set the upper limit for actual runtime ones?

Something like that, yes.

Currently there's no real hard limit on the number of CPUs. I'd be nice to keep it that way if possible.

Hmmmm I'll take a look and see what I can come up with. The machine
struct seems the right place for the runtime limit I think.

I think realistically speaking there will be hard limits on CPUs, but we
can put them at reasonable limits (most people, except for me, would
probably not complain being capped at 256 :-). It's of course possible
to completely get rid of long term, but there could be issues with
runtime allocation cost in hot paths.

Cheers,
Jes