qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Can't boot my sparc system anymore

From: Robert Reif
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Can't boot my sparc system anymore
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:21:20 -0400

Blue Swirl wrote:
On 9/28/08, Robert Reif <address@hidden> wrote:
I tried running  one of my sparc system boot scripts that does:

 qemu-system-sparc -hda c.img -M SS-10 -append "console=ttyS0
video=tcxfb:off" -nographic

 and I now get:

 -append only allowed with -kernel option

 This is a recent regression.  Do I need to do this differently now or is
this a bug?

It has never worked. -append is used only with preloaded Linux kernel
, it is not passed to the boot loader. Please use -prom-env, for
example -prom-env 'boot-args=linux single'.

Also -nographic is passed to OpenBIOS which switches prom console to
serial, so it is not necessary to use 'console=xxx' or 'video=xxx'
options. Linux uses prom console before switching to its own console
functions.

It may not be right but it does (did) work. Here is current svn with the failing command line test disabled running:

qemu-system-sparc -hda c.img -M SS-10 -append "Linux console=ttyS0 video=tcxfb:off" -nographic

Configuration device id QEMU version 1 machine id 64
CPUs: 1 x TI,TMS390Z55
Welcome to OpenBIOS v1.0RC1 built on Sep 18 2008 19:07
 Type 'help' for detailed information
[sparc] Booting file 'disk' with parameters 'Linux console=ttyS0 video=tcxfb:off'
Not a bootable ELF image
Not a Linux kernel image
Loaded 7680 bytes
entry point is 0x4000